August 6, 2013

Blanching, Bathing, Boiling



This past Thursday night my oldest and I went out to the garden to "check" on things and we had so many vegetables I sent her back inside to get another bowl. In addition to the already 20+ tomatoes we already had on the counter, I felt the need to instantly begin blanching, sanitizing, bathing, and boiling. For my first time canning, I was excited to see how this was going to turn out - It was a huge success! Well at least it looks pretty, but I guess now we will have to taste it.

After all the research, it started getting a little confusing because of everything out on the web. So I asked a friend for some tips because she has canned before and she told me a great website to use. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to "make" the sauce and then can it, but she suggested just doing stewed tomatoes because then you can use it for everything (chili, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, lasagna, salsa, etc.) so that is what I did.


I loved everything about this canning process - even the mess! After I got everything cleaned up, Adam and I were laying in bed watching TV and we would get so tickled everytime we would hear a "pop". I think I got up to 5 out of 6 before I fell asleep. But rest assured I was up at 4 am and they were all sealed.

I think the littles are going to have tomato stained cheeks and noses.
Peace and Fluf!

No comments:

Post a Comment